At last year’s Maemo Summit, we released a limited technical preview of the upcoming Harmattan UI Framework.
Today, we are releasing the entire UI framework as Open Source with a permissive LGPL license. The Harmattan UI Framework highlights include:
- A fully finger optimized UI with kinetics and multitouch
- Built on the latest Qt technologies, including the Qt Graphics View and Animation frameworks
- High performance OpenGL application rendering and window composition
- Support for cross platform application development wherever Qt runs, today this includes Linux, Mac OS X and Windows
- Developed in an open source manner
We are quite excited about the last point in particular. As the Maemo 6 UI Framework is still a work in progress, not only will you be able to follow the progress, you have the possibility to influence and contribute to the project as well. The day-to-day development will take place in full public view, at qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework
The components released today include:
- libdui, the UI framework library
- duitheme, the development UI theme(s)
- duicompositor, our window compositor/manager
- duihome, the homescreen application
If you have a Nokia N900 and are feeling brave, there are now packages available in the extras-devel repository of Widgets Gallery, our Maemo 6 UI components demo application. Libdui and the included demo application can also be compiled on standard Linux, Mac and Windows desktops provided Qt 4.6 is installed. So try it out, and let us know what you think!